 Robotics / Handy Board / 8037
RE: Newton Labs Not releasing PCODE source for 3.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:28:29 GMT

Jerry-
You didn't 'buy' IC 3.1.  You paid for a license to use the software.  I
doubt that you were buying the actual source code, which probably took
hundreds of hours for the programmers to write.  That is their intellectual
property, and it is their right to keep it to themselves, if they so desire.

It is also likely to be illegal for you to reverse engineer the software, or
disassemble it.

Just a question: if you bought a car and had on your desk a manufacturing
facility which could make another one, would you expect the car company to
provide you with all the specs needed to enable you to reproduce the car?

I doubt that complaining to the world that 'Newton Labs doesn't have a clue'
will make them run out an email you the source code.

Just my $0.02