 Robotics / Handy Board / 8027
8026  |  8028
Subject:
Temporary solution for W2000, but not Notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:59:43 GMT

This is essentially a status report telling what I've come up with as a
partial solution to to running the Handy Board in our new environment.  I have
not succeeded in getting IC to run under Windows2000 DOS.  The labs now have
machines with 120 MB super floppy drives.  I give students a Windows 95 super
floppy boot disk with IC & dl on it (as well as software to connect to the
network).  They can't execute off of the hard disk or network, but they can
store work on the network as well as the super floppy.  The bottom line is, I
can't get IC to work with W2K, so we go to W95.

I haven't been even that successful with the thinkpad notebook computers.
When I boot off the W95 floppy, the software complains that it can't find
com2.  The tech center said that the thinkpad uses 3F8 and IRQ4 for com2 which
is not conventional.  I changed the notebook to disable the infrared port
(which normally uses 2F8 and IRQ3) and set com2 to that address and
interrupt.  The software quit complaining about not being able to find com2,
but now claims that the handy board is disconnected and can't communicate with
it.

If anyone has any good suggestions, I am still open to them, but I am not
optimistic.  Worse yet for me is that next year the students will all have
notebooks so neither the students nor I will be able to run the software
unless I find a way out of this problem.

Steve Mosiman