 Robotics / Handy Board / 7959
7958  |  7960
Subject:
IR Sensor Hack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:51:14 GMT

I wrote the following email to Mekatronix regarding the sensor hack to
convert Sharp GP1U58X or Y sensors to IR range finder sensors. The pdf
documentation currently on their website just shows how to solder onto a
trace within the sensor to give an analogue value with a rise time of about
100ms. I have dug out some of my original documentation that I obtained
from either them or from the University of Florida site. This mentions
replacing the surface mounted 0.1uF cap with a cap of the range 5 - 10nF to
give a 1-2ms rise/fall time (the author managed less than 1ms using the 5nF
option). The reason I am posting this here as well is to find out if
anybody else has made this modification and knows which is the easiest way
to replace the surface mounted capacitor.

Thanks for any help.

John Hatton
johnhatton@email.com

John Hatton wrote:

I have read the IR hack pdf file that is currently on your website. A
while back I also read the pdf file dated 8/9/96 (and listed as updated
by K. L. Doty on 5/4/96 underneath the title) which mentioned that the
rise/fall time could be improved by replacing the 0.1uF surface mount
capacitor with a 5nF capacitor. Could you verify that this is the case
and you have just left this out to minimise the modifications to the
sensor ?. Assuming that the change is valid what would the easiest way
be to replace the 0.1uF cap ?, cutting the traces to the cap and
resoldering the new one ?. I currently have a few 6.6nF polystyrene caps
(actually rated as 6.8 but they only measure as 6.6) so I would like to
modify a  few of my sensors to get the best response from them.

Thanks for your help.

John Hatton
johnhatton@email.com