 Robotics / Handy Board / 7946
Re: 6.8nF Capacitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:27:07 GMT

I don't suppose you know what the formula is for calculating the value of the
frequency ?.  1/(R4*C6) possibly ?. This equation gives 38396Hz (38.4KHz) which
means that my 6.6nF caps give 39560Hz (39.6KHz) which is closer to 40KHz than
the 6.8nF value listed. I would appreciate confirmation of this before I decide
which component to use.

Thanks for your help

John Hatton
johnhatton@email.com

JR wrote:

Greetings:
The capacitor used on the handy board (c6) and resistor r4 set up an
oscillator for infrared output frequency.  This signal does not have to be
an  exact frequency.  IE most infrared demodulators have a center frequency.
However the demodulator will operate within a range of a couple of kHz.  You
can change the values (of course within reason) of c6 and r4 to yield the
frequency that you desire.

Issue this command to start the Ir transmitter circuit:

poke(0x1000, 0x40);

this will start the transmission circuit.  LED 9 will light.
use an oscilloscope to measure the signal at pin 2 of U9.  This should be a
square wave of about 40kHz  (39,000 Hz to 41,000 Hz will work).

Issue the command from IC:
poke(0x1000, 0);

This will turn off the transmission circuit and LED9 should go off.