 Robotics / Handy Board / 7910
Re: Motors spinning at startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:43:57 GMT

I have been having the same motors spinning on powerup "problem" with my
Handyboard.  I tried various capacitor combinations on my modified servo motors
to no effect.  Fred M. finally provided the answer:

there's nothing that can be done about it, sorry.  when the board is
first turned on, there's a 1/3 sec period when the motor output latch
has a random state.  then the cpu comes out of reset and clears it.

In short, there is nothing wrong with your board or motors based on the symptoms
you described.  My solution is to just pick up the robot as I turn it on and
expect that the wheels will turn for an instant (this keeps me from dropping it
when the spinning wheels startle me).  The other option is to unplug the motors
on powerup.  I may switch to a single motor plug (with both of my motors on one
6 place/4 pin connector) to simplify plugging and unplugging the motors.

MLB

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, <Falinn@Ukmax.com> writes:
Hi all,
I have a problem with the motors connected to my handyboard. When I first
turn on the HB, the motors will spin randomly. This happens about every 2-3
times I switch on. I know this problem has come up before on the list, but
the post I found didn't answer all my questions.
What type of caps should I use, non-polarised?
Also what value capacitance should they have? (My motors are 12v [running
from HB 9.6v] and draw about 100ma each [2 motors])
The post also mentioned connecting the cap lead that goes to the negative on
the motor to the case of the motor, however my robot is differential drive
so the +ve and -ve of the motor change depending on which way the robots
going, what should I do?
Thanks,
Matt

"Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has ever tried to contact
us.." -Calvin