 Robotics / Handy Board / 7909
Re: sonar and overflow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:49:13 GMT

Hi

I think that the longest distance your able to measure is about 2.7m. The
counter is 16 bit long and has no sign. But the integer is has a sign, so you
can only use 15 bits, which is 32768. The counter increases each 0.5ns (pink
book). Sound travels at approximatly 340m/s.

32768*0.0000005*340/2=2.78m

If you need longer distances, you need do handle with the overflow bit. I
wasn't successful until no. The next few month i will not have the time to get
one with that. So if you find a solution, please let me know.

Bye

Martin

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Adam Oliver writes:
Has anyone managed to work out some code which checks the overflow bit =
for the counter used in the polaroid sonar code? At the moment mine =
distance readings seem to be maxing out around 1.5m or so, and I'm not =
sure if it's the timer running out or if it's my circuit not having =
enough gain to receive a signal from further than that.

I've had two conflicting answers with regards to the maximum time that =
can be measured - one which says about 1.5m and another which says =
somewhere closer to 8-10m.