 Robotics / Handy Board / 7900
7899  |  7901
Subject:
Dificulties downloading to partially assembled board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:14:25 GMT

I am at the point in construction where it asks you to test serial
communications to the board before proceeding with memory installation. I
hesitate to continue until I am comfortable with the workings of my board.

When trying to establish comms, I get the message "board not responding,
reconfigure board settings?". If I am not mistaken, the board and host should
syncronize and then the host would attempt to install the pcode or load the hb
libraries if pcode is already in place. I am using the correct port settings
(com 1). The board (in the bootstrap mode - all tests are "go" in that regard)
seems to indicate SOME form of comms is occurring as the green pwr LED comes
on after trying to connect the host and h-board. The charging board SER LED
stays on steadily and the green PWR led does nothing until it eventually turns
on. My debugging of the charging board was successfully completed per the
instructions in the Acroname kit.

I purchased my kit from Acroname. I am running a P3-450 with Windows 98. I am
using the Acroname distributed commercial IC 3.2 and ver 1.2 H-board.

I downloaded the HBDL.exe file. I attempted to download pcode from there. It
seemed to work and got to a point where it found a bad memory address, which
is ok per the instructions and the fact that there is no memory yet. I had
blinking LEDS on both the h-board and the charging board.

Is the use of HBDL.exe only necessary for the downloading of pcode? Do I have
to use it every time I try to download any code to my board? Why does a
commercially available version of IC not work with a so-called fast computer?
Is there a bug fix or patch aavailable? Is this the only problem or should I
stop construction of my board and fix something?

Please help, I am really perplexed here.

Thanks,

Bob Kelly