 Robotics / Handy Board / 7853
Re: Sharp analog distance sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 08:20:42 GMT

Adam Oliver wrote:

Greetings,

I've looked, but don't seem to be able to find any relevant info.

I created a website at:
http://condor.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/stueker/GP2D12

I will have to add some new experiences.
1. You definetely should use the device vertical (my choice: Emitter at
   bottom). I have no clue, how anybody got reliable results when
mounting it
   horizontal. There is no helpful information on Sharp's datasheet, so
   I made my own meassurements and was surprised, that when mounting the
   sensor horizontal, the minimal distance was not detected in the
middle
   of the apex angle (hope this is the correct English word). The result
   was the same for three devices!

2. I expected to detect obstacles in a distance upto 80cm.
Unfortunately, a
   reliable detection does only seem to be possible in range of 60cm.
Farther
   obstacles can not be clearly differentiated from sensor noise.

3. Depending on the needed accurancy it seem to be useful to amplify the
   Sensor voltage.

4. I experienced, that there seem to be diffractions on edges of
obstacles.
   The result is that the edges of obstacles seem closer than they
really
   are (effect is noticeable around 40-50cm distance). I have to add
some
   excel-sheets to the website, to point this out. [Has anybody made
this
   experience before?]

Hope this helps.

Dirk

Dirk Stueker      Zietenstr. 36    26131 Oldenburg       Germany
Department of  Computer Science    University    of    Oldenburg
Tel. & Fax: +49 / 441 / 5 39 35    Mobile: +49 / 175 / 4 000 294
Homepage: www.stueker-online.de    Email: dirk@stueker-online.de