 Robotics / Handy Board / 783
782  |  784
Subject:
HandyBoard's Baud rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:29:46 GMT

My name is Micah Krider and I asked for the information on changing the
baud rate on the handyboard to communicate serially.  You sent me the
following code to communicate serially:
void xxxxxx(int c)
{
while(!(peek(0x102e)&0x80));
poke(0x102f,c);
}
my question to you is about the data type being sent.  I need to send ASCII
characters and I was wondering how to send them.  I am assuming the when it
uses type "int", it is just taking the integer representation of the ASCII
code (ex. "A" = 41h = 65) therefor to send something like "A", I would just
poke 65 out of the handyboard.  I have tried this and viewed the results on
a oscilloscope, and this doesn't seem the case.  I think the code that you
sent me to slow down the baud rate worked correctly, though I need to be
able to understand what is being sent serially to verify that the baud rate
is changed.  A quick question on the baud rate code also.  The code you
sent:
void set_baud_1200()
{
poke(0x102b,0xb3);
}
sets bit 7 in register 102b to a "1".  What is the purpose for this?  I did
not understand what setting it to a "1" did so I tried it with it set to
the default "0".  That is what I have been testing the baud rate with.  If
you could get back in touch with me, I would really appreciate it.  Thank
you,
Micah D. Krider
kmicah@uwf-uf.ee.uwf.edu