 Robotics / Handy Board / 7796
Re: What the? (Was: Re: 50 Megs of web space for $9.95 a month!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 23:25:02 GMT

todd's right, the MIT list has no spam protection, if it gets bad
we'll have to move all remaining subscribers from the MIT side and go
100% lugnet.

right now i still have 300+ people on the MIT list -- urgh.

fred

In your message you said:
In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Erin Windross writes:
Um...........sorry if this has happened before but, was this approved by
Todd to be posted on Lugnet? Or is it just a spam program that hacked into
Lugnet?  I'm confused.
Erin

Looks like it came in through the original Handy Board mailing list
handyboard@media.mit.edu at MIT which is gatewayed with the
lugnet.robotics.handyboard group/list.

Hmm, that makes two spams now in the past few days.  I don't think the HB
mailing list software at MIT filters messages, and LUGNET's mail-to-news
gateway accepts anything that comes in from a gatewayed external mailing list
(it has to, or else it would reject regular messages from regular people).
If it gets to be a real problem, we'll have to sever the link.  (IIRC, it's
Fred's eventual intention to migrate the list entirely away from the MIT
server.)

BTW, Fred, if you get this message, there's now a simplified subscription
page to point people to which is HB specific:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/mail/sub/?lugnet.robotics.handyboard

and avoids the big huge complicated subscription settings list.

--Todd