 Robotics / Handy Board / 7779
7778  |  7780
Subject:
CWRU LEGO Robot Egg Hunt Competition (Sunday, 30 April 2000)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:27:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The 10th LEGO My Egg-O Robotic Egg Hunt is being held on Sunday,
30 April 2000, 12:30-3:00 PM, at the Cleveland Great Lakes Science Center.
Admission to the Egg Hunt proper is free.

The Egg Hunt is the final design competition of the course I teach
here at Case Western Reserve University, called Autonomous Robotics.  Students
build autonomous robots from LEGOs and controlled by MIT 6.270 boards (the
ancestor to the Handy Board) programmed in IC.

The contest in brief:  teams of 2 robots each compete in a walled
arena to collect colored plastic eggs and return them to home base "nests"
distinguished by polarized light beacons.  Colored eggs are worth +1 each,
but flat-black eggs are worth -4 points each.  Robots on the same team may
cooperate or operate independently.  Both offensive and defensive strategies
are allowed (e.g., you can collect black eggs and put them in your opponent's
nest), but destructive strategies are forbidden (e.g., no chainsaws or
blowtorches).  Contest rounds last 10 minutes each, and a modified double-
elimination tournament is used to determine the winner.

Detailed information can be found on the course webpage at:

http://www.eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/

For those of you (most of you) who won't be able to attend in person, we are
also having a live webcast of the Egg Hunt.  RealPlayer 7 Basic (the free
version) is required.  Click on the picture of Cambot on the course webpage
to get to the webcast.  *NOTE*  the current URL for the webcast points to
an internal CWRU RealServer.  We are trying to arrange for discovery.com to
serve the webcast for us; if this works, the URL will change.  The "click
on Cambot" will always work.

*Rich*
--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other