 Robotics / Handy Board / 7742
Re: DC motor question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:05:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, "Patrick Cutts" <patrick@surfari.net> writes:
Hi,
I am using DC Motors for the first time (previously used stepper motors) and
have been experiencing difficulties when first powering on the handyboard. • [snip]
I am wondering if this is caused by some kind of motor/handyboard
interference, and if putting a filter cap across the leads of the motors
will help.  (and if so, what size/type of capacitor?)

  Bingo.  Put .1uf caps (rated at least 4X your max voltage) from the (+)
pole to the can, from the (-) pole to the can and from the (+) to the (-)
pole.  Keep your leads as short as possible.  Put a big cap (1000uf+) on the
power supply TO your motor contoller, this will help reduce sags on the main
power line to your HB regulator (if you use the same power line.)

  You will probably have to file a spot on the can to solder to and you WILL
need a strong soldering iron.

This should help.

DLC