 Robotics / Handy Board / 7642
Re: servo ports on Exp board...help?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:23:07 GMT

Hi again,
I should have mentioned this in the first message.  In our case, the motor that
was causing the problems was a fan motor (to blow out a candle) and it was
completely electrically isolated from all of the other circuitry.  It had its'
own battery and was controlled by a relay whose coil was powered by a motor
output of the handyboard. It apparently induced enough of a signal on nearby
wires that the servos took it as control signals.  The point is that moving the
servos to a different power supply probably won't fix the problem but a small
filter capacitor across the motor leads almost certainly will.  You want
the capacitor to be as close as possible to the motor to avoid the motor
leads from being an antenna for the noise signal.  Some motors, like the Lego
ones (and servos) have the filter cap inside their case.  Small motors from a
hobby shop or Radio Shack do not.

Barry

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Alex Stewart writes:
Hi
the servo ports on my expboard seem to work fine, but when the servos
are'nt active ( init_expbd_servos(0); ) and a motor is turned on the ports go
crazy , servos will turn eratically, with hacked servos they just move in one
direction. Would a filter cap help and if so were would one put it , in the
motor ports or servo supply?

Thanx -Alex

PS- now that I think about it could seperating the servo supply to a diff. • batt
work?.

Thanx again.