 Robotics / Handy Board / 7633
7632  |  7634
Subject:
Acroname robotics...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:31:32 GMT

I am looking to buy a Handy Board, Expansion Board, motors, GP2D12 sensors,
Polaroid 6500 instrument package, and maybe the Eltec sensor. I will likely
use Acroname, as they appear to have pretty good prices and I can save a few
$$ on shipping.

Has anyone built from the Acroname kits? Can I have some comments,
pros/cons, things you were pleasantly/unpleasantly suprised about, etc.? Is
there kit as complete as you expected? I've never built a kit this ambitious
before (the most I've ever done is the object detector from Lynxmotion) and
want to be sure it is as fool-proof (I AM a fool, after all) as possible.

I have used the GP2D02 before, but I only used one and it worked great once
I figured out how to get linear output from non-linear readings. I  wish to
use at least five GP2D12s with the expansion board , as you can run as many
as eight by cutting only one pullup resistor trace on the Hboard (I'm
thinking of addidng a switch instead of just cutting it). Also, there is no
software overhead required. What has been the list's experience out there
with the GP2D12s? Is it as easy to interface as advertised? Does it still
have non-linear output values for a linear change in distance? Is cutting
the trace all that is truely required?

I would like to construct the base out of some sort of light plastic. I used
the Lynxmotion 1/4" stuff before and it was great, but it was expensive.
What is an easily machined (with a small band saw), easily drilled,
super-glueable, lightweight, strong, stiff, and inexpensive material? What
are your favorites if you don't have access to machine tools? I would love
to use aluminum and really have a nicely done 'bot, but that appears to be
beyond my means.

What other sensors that are very funtional, but relatively inexpensive do
some of you find to be a good addition to the capabilities of your 'bots? I
know I will be adding the Hamamatsu IR emitter /detector pair for wheel
encoders, and some simple light sensors. I would really like to make a very
functional 'bot that has a wide range of capabilities to experiment in
software with.

Thanks all and have a good day,

Bob K.