 Robotics / Handy Board / 7523
RE: HB's mA consume?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:59:22 GMT

Well, you can _greatly_ increase the efficency of the handyboard if you
remove the 7805 regulator and replace it with a PowerTrends switching
regulator (Digikey sells these among others). I would suggest you run three
wires from the regulator to the board because the PowerTrends unit is
slightly larger than the 7805 (same pinout though!)

Further, if you are going to go solar then I would also suggest you ditch
the handyboard's recharger circuit and build a new one out of either a
Maxim, Linear Tech, or Microchip battery management IC. These IC's are
designed to charge/maintain a particular battery chemistry easily and
efficiently, they can detect "excess" voltage and go right into charge mode
(they are used in Cell Phones and laptop computers a lot!) and they can
give you an idea of just how much juice is left in the battery so if you
get several cloudy days in a row you can realize you're about to go offline
and take some action. Application notes are available online.

--Chuck