 Robotics / Handy Board / 7506
Re: Solar charging and OWI Arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 06:29:11 GMT

Oops. I just realized I forgot to tell you how to connect the
solar panel.

Solar panels are almost always installed with a diode to block
reverse voltage that would actually suck energy out of your
battery when the sun goes down. For a small solar panel like
the one you mention, you don't need a very heavy duty diode,
but since you don't have a whole lot of power and voltage to
spare, you'll want an efficient one with low forward voltage
drop.

A 40 mA solar panel probably doesn't deliver enough current to
utilize the HB's built-in charging cicuitry, so perhaps you
should just hook it up to the battery directly. It's not as if
that amount of current will ever overcook your battery in any
case. Hope this helps!

-- Will

--- Jose Luis <jldf@mail.com> wrote:
Hi,

    Has someone builded a battery charger for the HB, using a
solar panel,
is a 12 v / 40 mA panel enough for that?, and how to connect
it?.

    Also, has someone tried the OWI robotic arm ?

Thank You

Jose Luis