 Robotics / Handy Board / 7505
Re: Solar charging and OWI Arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 06:20:34 GMT

Any 12 V solar panel would help to add some juice to the
battery, but the board probably can't live on just 40mA. The
recommended adapter is 500 mA, which would charge the battery
about a dozen times faster. Still, I have some solar cells just
gathering dust on the shelf, so I plan to add 'em to my robot,
too.

I saw a good design for a robot charging station: take a
cardboard box about a foot tall, open on one side, and line the
floor with a sheet of aluminum and the inside of the top with
another sheet. Hook up your HB adapter to the top & bottom
sheets.

Next add an electrode to the bottom of the robot that drags on
the ground and another electrode that sticks up like a radio
antenna. These electrodes are connected to the power jack. Put
an IR beacon on the box and an IR detector on the robot, so
that when the robot runs low on voltage, it searches for the
beacon, rolls into the box, and then rolls out when the
battery's topped off.

I figure that any self-respecting robot ought to at least be
able to take care of its own basic needs.

-- Will

P.S. -- Never heard of the OWI arm. Best of luck!

--- Jose Luis <jldf@mail.com> wrote:
Hi,

    Has someone builded a battery charger for the HB, using a
solar panel,
is a 12 v / 40 mA panel enough for that?, and how to connect
it?.

    Also, has someone tried the OWI robotic arm ?

Thank You

Jose Luis

=====
Any sufficiently advanced technology