 Robotics / Handy Board / 7416
Re: Shaft encoders interfacing with Handy Board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:36:21 GMT

I've had great success using Hall-effect magnetic sensors as
shaft encoders with the Handy Board. The sensors are the type
that Patrick Hui (of the Robot Store HK) includes in his HB
sensor kit.

I glued small disk magnets into the holes in a pair of Lego
pulleys on the robot axle shafts and mounted the Hall-effect
sensors about a millimeter away from the sides of the pulleys.
This worked ok, but I only got a few encoder counts per
rotation of the wheel. To get more clicks, I geared the pulleys
up, and now I get about one click per centimeter of travel,
which is more than adequate to keep the robot tracking in a
straight line.

The Hall-effect magnetic sensors plug right into the HB and
work just fine with the shaft encoder routines that I
downloaded off the HB web site. They give analog readings from
about 130 to 150 (or if you flip the magnets over, 150 to 170)
so you need to set the encoder thresholds accordingly. Make
sure that all the magnets in a pulley have the same polarity
before you glue 'em.

-- Will

--- Huan Nguyen <hdn7595@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi everybody
  I'm trying to find an encoder to work with my Handy
Board(using a DC
motor). Please help me if you know anything about Shaft
encoder(S1
optical encoder)interfacing with Handy Board. Can i use the
Shaft
encoder? Do you know how to connect the Shaft encoder with
Handy Board?
Can i use the Shaft encoder? Do you know how to connect the
Shaft
encoder with Handy Board? And can i use the encoder routines
provided
by the IC (Handy Board Pcode).

Thank you
HUAN NGUYEN