 Robotics / Handy Board / 7298
Re: Sensor questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:49:12 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Jonathan Swaby wrote:

I would like to use my miniboard as an engine management system. At the present time, I have a small 2 cycle engine from a weed wacker that I would like to control. I would like to have the miniboard gather some information about the atmospheric conditions and use that information to adjust the air fuel mixture.

Sounds like fun!  Go check out the EFI332 (hope I got that right) project.
That's a project to build a 68332 board to control a larger engine.  They'll
probably have pointers to the different types of sensors that can be used
with it, some of which might be applicable to the miniboard.

www.altavista.com should be able to find the project pages.

I would also like the board to sense air pressure and humidity. I have read about capacitors that will vary with humidity, but I have no idea how to make them work with the Miniboard. Can anyone provide any tips on this.

Haven't played with this, but I did notice that the latest Nuts & Volts had a
humidity sensor project in it.  Just got that issue last week I think.  Didn't
read much of the article though.  I think they used somebody's prepackaged
humidy sensor in it.

One thing to try might be to charge the capacitor up to a known voltage, and
then measure it to see how long it discharges.  You'll see variances in the
discharge time.  Of course you need a capacitor with an air gap between the
plates.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U