 Robotics / Handy Board / 7228
Re: Shaft Encoders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:28:07 GMT

Can somebody provide links to  Information on Shaft Encoders.

Thanks

While I am not familiar with the LEGO Rotation Sensor (simply because I
havn't got one yet), I have constructed, for the moment, a "homebrew"
rotation sensor.

My recent models have mostly been models of the robots we build at work.
They are cartesian robots used in the injection moulding industry and they
remove or insert parts into the moulding machine. You can find more
information about our robots at http://www.ventax.com . My cartesian robots
use a "linear" shaft encoder. This consists of a paper tape with 12mm wide
black marks on it. When the light sensor sees the begining of the black mark
it signals the "slow down" of that axis motor and the end of the mark
signals the "stop" of that particular axis. On our less expensive robots we
use proximity switches with "slow down" and "stop" targets so it's really
quite simliar to that.

On one of my other robot projects which was a jointed 3-axis robot, I first
tried using the light sensor for a shaft encoder. I used a black marker to
paint half of a 2x2 round cylinder brick black. By placing this next to the
light sensor I could get a resolution of about 180 degrees... or half a
revolution. I alredy know the motor direction because it's set. So it's not
to difficult to set up a counting subroutine that keeps track of where a
particular axis is.

If you want to see some pictures of the set up, you might check my directory
of robot projects. You can find this at
http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/robot/ . One of the most "radical"
applications I used this idea for was for a tower ride (under the directory
ride2/ in the above URL). The encoder was mounted at the base of the tower
on a pully. When the car ran up and down it would figure out the relative
position of the car. This ride was modeled after the HUSS "Shot-N-Drop".
This ride made it's premier on the German fairgrounds th is year, I believe.
You can find more information about this fantastic, programmable pneumatic
vertical ride at the HUSS website - it's fantastic! HUSS is undoubtedly the
world leader in flat rides. http://www.hussrides.com . I had the privelage
earlier this year visiting SixFlags Great Adventure, home of North America's
only HUSS "Jumping". It was simply fantastic...

I'm geting terribly off topic at a fantastic rate (^: Off to bed!

    Iain (who just made his first post! Who-hoo!)

--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826