 Robotics / Handy Board / 7188
7187  |  7189
Subject:
Excessive clutziness when replacing the NiCad battery pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:41:01 GMT

Hello, everyone:

   I'm having problems when I replace the HandyBoard's NiCad battery.
I have probably replaced around 10 battery packs by now on different
HandyBoards.  On 4 or 5 of the replacements, I end up having to
replace the 74HC373 latch, sometimes the 373 AND the memory, and
on one occasion, the 373, the memory, AND the CPU.

   I disconnect the old battery from the leads soldered into the
HandyBoard, plus lead first, then the negative.  I leave the other
ends of the two leads soldered into the HandyBoard.  Yes, I realize
that this is opposite to the way that Fred Martin tells us to attach
the battery on original assembly, but once the HandyBoard is built,
I hate to tamper with the board any more than I have to.  I especially
don't like to have to replace the 74HC373 latch, hence my posting!

   I solder the leads to the new battery in the reverse order,
negative first, then the positive.

   The 373 gets destroyed in those times when I end up fumbling
around with the positive lead, trying to poke it through the hole
in the battery (shakey hands due to advanced age, I suppose).
I suspect that this fumbling is causing a high enough transient
voltage to ruin the 373.

   Do any of you have any tips for me?  Is there a better way to
swap HandyBoard batteries than I'm using?

   Thanks in advance for your advice.

         Bill Bynum