 Robotics / Handy Board / 7181
7180  |  7182
Subject:
IC Technical Support problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 07:50:13 GMT

Hi!

I bought my first handyboard in mid October and a Rug Warrior Pro in early
November. And since I have had this peculiar download problem with the IC 3.2,
pcode will download without any problems but everytime after downloading the lib
files, IC will report a sync error. What makes it so odd is that I can download
everything with the 2.81 version. I'm using a Win98 Toshiba Portege 7010 laptop
as a host computer.

I have reported this to the IC Technical Support and they have replied that it's
not the problem with the IC 3.2 rather with the laptop and I should use some
other computer.

I tested the IC 3.2 in high speed NT workstation and it really worked there. No
sync errors. (But I can't use this computer for my hobbies, and for mobile
robots laptop is anyway the only proper host environment).

OK. I agree there are some differences between the Toshiba and NT workstation
serial ports (although all the settable parameters had the same values). But my
point is that how can then the IC 2.81 operate in the Toshiba laptop without any
sync errors? Also, I haven't had any problems using for example external modem,
Psion and Palm sync programs trough the same serial port. And finally, I
received few days ago the BasicX-24 development kit and it works also very
smoothly, no serial problems whatsoever (and it's fast).

So it seems that all other programs but IC can tolerate the minor differences
with serial communication in different computers.

But what I'm really complaining is that there has been now 10 days since I send
my last message to the Technical Support, and described the latest situation,
but they haven't replied anything sofar. If the IC 3.2 were a freeware, the
situation would be understandable but I have paid for the IC 3.2 and they ought
to have better response times. I feel that the price for IC 3.2 is way too high,
for that amount of money you should get a better quality program.

--
et