 Robotics / Handy Board / 7132
Re: robot project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:22:27 GMT

In a message dated 11/25/1999 3:52:34 AM Central Standard Time,
mikmiranda@yahoo.com writes:

Then
whichever receiver gets the signal first, that’s where
the owner is and where we want to turn to.

Michael:

    You will not get your program to outrun light.  The rf signal is moving
at 300,000,000 m/s.  If you divide the space between your antennas by
300,000,000 you will get the time difference for the rf arrival time.  I
believe you will find that time to be much smaller than a single machine
cycle.  You might be able to use this trick with a sound wave and assembler
programming, but not rf.
    If you want to find a radio source, I recommend "Transmitter Hunting"
published by the ARRL.  They might have it in your local library; they are
most likely to have The ARRL Handbook which will have a section on
directional antennas.  You could probably build a "Loop with sense" type
antenna that you would mount on a turning servo.  You sample the signal
strength at different directions and pick the strongest (weakest depending on
the antenna).  Finding the "Null" direction usually gives a sharper position
than finding the "Peak."

Good Luck,
Pherd