 Robotics / Handy Board / 7104
Re: Nicad Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, handyboard@media.mit.edu (glashan) writes:
Hi

Ive been having problems with my batteries for my handyboard lately so I
took them out to check them all.
All the batteries checked out fine except for one, which had something very
wrong with it - the terminals were reversed!  So when I measured it with my
multi-tester it read -1.27 volts.
Is this because I may have inserted it incorrectly before, or is it
something else? Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Ross

Hi

My name is Marco and I am not interested to handyboard, but I have a lot of
experience with NiCd battery.
Whitout more precise data and history of your NiCd cell pack, the highest
probability to have a reversal in the polarity is due to a deep discharge (you
should avoid to go below 0,8 V for each NiCd cells)
Try to avoid a complete discharge of the battery pack; in some case a reversed
polarity cell may be recovered using a charger with pulsed charge mode.
Use a delta peak charger to obtain the maximum from your battery and
avoid to  overcharge as this may damage the cells.
Another much simpler way is to use good quality NiCd battery, with Sanyo being
the best by far (no I am in no way associated with Sanyo, but I have used a lot
of battery) and within Sanyo the R (red colour) series are the one that are
able to survive to major abuse.

Bye for now

Marco Berti