 Robotics / Handy Board / 701
700  |  702
Subject:
Running IC on an old PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:11:53 GMT

Hi,
I thought I was smart, salvaging an old (read, "real old") PC to use as a
"base station" for programming the HB.   It is a 8088-PC original (well, a
clone).  Has the required port etc, and even a 720/3.5 disk drive, which is
semi-compatible with my (work's) 486 laptop.  It seemed a good re-cycling
idea at the time - no-one wants a PC that wont do Windows of some sort!

BUT.....

Interactive C does not run!  Just loads into memory, then returns to the DOS
prompt.  No signon message, no dos errorlevel return, nothing.
Memory available = 580000, more than the 486 laptop has (570000).
The RS232 port is OK - I 'linked the IC software across between the 2 machines.
Dos = MSdos 6.2, same as laptop.   I used a CRC checker to prove the files
on the 8088 are the same as the ones still on the 486.

Anyone know if IC (& DL for that matter!) definitely doesnt like an older PC?
Maybe it needs extended memory or something, altho when I look inside IC.EXE
I dont see any obvious message texts relating to extenders etc.

Brian