 Robotics / Handy Board / 6982
    stalled motor detection —Paul Dito
   Hi all, I'm working on a dead reckoning 'bot. I'm not really interested in what the wheels are doing unless they're stalled. Anyone know any good tricks for monitoring the motor current, or should I go with shaft encoders anyway? Thanks! Paul (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: stalled motor detection —Gary Livick
     Shaft encoders are hard to beat. If the wheels are commanded to turn and aren't, that's a good indication that something is screwy. Plus, if you're doing dead reckoning, you need them anyway so they are already there! Gary Livick (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

         Re: stalled motor detection —Paul Dito
     Thanks for pointing out the 'dead reckoning' thing. I meant 'object avoidance'! Heh, I think I'd better make another coffee run... Gary Livick wrote in message <381762F1.D9E4F391@p...ll.net>... (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: stalled motor detection —Jeroen van der Vegt
   If a motor stalls, it draws a lot of current (compared to normal operation). You can measure that quite easilyusing dedicated chip, or by measuring the voltage over a small resistor in series with the motor: if more current is draw, the voltage drop (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)