 Robotics / Handy Board / 6970
Re: MOTOR DRIVERS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:22:25 GMT

I also remember seeing people piggybacking the L293s to double the current
capability. Thoughts?
-chris

----- Original Message -----
From: Fred G. Martin <fredm@media.mit.edu>
To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

It won't necessarily fry the chip.

L293s (and the TI equivalent) have a thermal protection mode.  If the chip • gets
too hot, it will turn itself off.  Most of the time, this protects the • chip
against over-current.

However, it is still possible to fry the chip with a current spike that • will do
it in before the overheat protection can kick in.

Fred

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, handyboard@media.mit.edu (Larry Kruzan) • writes:
Question?

When using a motor which will exceed the driver chip max current, will
that fry the chip or the handy board?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think it would take out the chip, but I am currently doing this by
installing a oversize heatsink & fan to the controller chip and pulsing • the
motor instead of constant current.  Exceeding the max current capacity • but,
limiting duration and increasing heat dissipation works.  Sometimes. :o)

Lar