 Robotics / Handy Board / 6959
  MOTOR DRIVERS

Question? When using a motor which will exceed the driver chip max current, will that fry the chip or the handy board? Paul (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

Answer it'll fry the chip Question? Why would you even want to do that? (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

(...) Hi Paul, I think it would take out the chip, but I am currently doing this by installing a oversize heatsink & fan to the controller chip and pulsing the motor instead of constant current. Exceeding the max current capacity but, limiting (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

It won't necessarily fry the chip. L293s (and the TI equivalent) have a thermal protection mode. If the chip gets too hot, it will turn itself off. Most of the time, this protects the chip against over-current. However, it is still possible to fry (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

(...) Hi Paul, I don't know how the handyboard is protected against overload but one thing is for sure : if you overload the driver chip ... this one will fry up.In worst case you'll fry the board as well. If a driver chip's maximum current is 1 (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: MOTOR DRIVERS

I also remember seeing people piggybacking the L293s to double the current capability. Thoughts? -chris ----- Original Message ----- From: Fred G. Martin <fredm@media.mit.edu> To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu> Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 2:26 PM (...) (25 years ago, 26-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)