 Robotics / Handy Board / 6955
Re: Analog port shaft encoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:24:48 GMT

Rob,

I use these same encoders just as you do, and they work fine.  However, the
spacing of the encoders from thier targets is important for proper function.
1.5 to 2 mm works well for me.

In addition, I have had to play with the encoder high threshold to make things
work.  I set mine at 125, and never miss a count.

Good Luck,

Gary Livick

TH0RMAN23@aol.com wrote:

Tried what you said Joshua, I went through all the analog ports and manually
fed them with a TTL signal from a function generator at a relatively low
frequency of 5Hz and wrote this little test code to test it. In this example,
the sencdr3.icb has been loaded with a global variable named encoder3_counts.
This variable kept the running count of the encoder's ticks so I really dont
have to do anything else but to read it.

void encoder_test()
    {
        while(1)
                {
                        printf("Count: %d\n", encoder3_counts);
                }
    }

void main()
{
start_process(encoder_test());
}

The optical encoder is connected to analog port 3 with a 330 ohms current
limiting resistor for the Emmiter and the sensor si pull up by the Handy
Board's internal 47K. An oscilloscope is connected to the sensor side of the
encoder (QRB1114) . I ran the code and got the pulse but I have no result on
the LCD beside a 1 which seems to "stuck" there and wont change. Does anybody
else have this problem with using this driver? Thanks.

Best regard,
Rob