 Robotics / Handy Board / 6833
Re: Lo-Tech for Hi-Tech swaps, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:41:16 GMT

Professor Robson:
    I am an Electrical engineering student at Oregon State University.  I am
really interested in trading you for your stone carving (My wife is an Art
major and collector), but I don't just want to send off a bag of misc. parts
that you really don't need.  In a couple of days, let me know what exactly
you still need and how many and I am sure that we can easily work something
out.  I also have a friend going to your country to visit in a few weeks so
I probably could just send them with him (Could ship from there and save me
some of the shipping if the parts are small).  Best of luck teaching the
class.  I am working on setting a more basic one up myself (starts in two
weeks w/ some basic electronic theory and practice)

Tyler Conboy
conboy@engr.orst.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: <mrobson@icon.co.zw>
To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 11:42 PM
Subject: Lo-Tech for Hi-Tech swaps, anyone?

I plan to use the Handyboard within a Course on Interfacing, • Microcontroller
and Assembly Language Programming at undergraduate level here, starting • next
month. It turns out that there is a PCB production facility here in • Zimbabwe
which is now manufacturing the Handyboard PCB for me quite nicely at
relatively low cost. But the parts (eg plcc sockets, 74HC family etc) are
relatively expensive here.

So here is my question.

Is there anybody out there who would like some low-cost Handyboard PCBs • for
your students to mess up? I would like to swap bare, unfilled Handyboards
for parts, like 68HC11E1, caps, LEDs, anything on the list, new or used.
Just put them into a small Jiffey bag with a Green Customs Sticker marked
"Gift: value US$1" (very very important) and send to address below. • Anything
you send will be used by my students, who would otherwise have to buy • parts
locally for their practical work. Please include your name and mail • address,
and say whether you want some Handyboard PCBs in return, or would rather
swap for African exotica. I do a rather nice line in African stone • carvings,
Witchdoctor impedimenta, also local newspapers and books, ANYTHING (well,
almost.......)

Mike Robson
Lecturer in Computer Science
Dept. of Computer Science