 Robotics / Handy Board / 6802
Re: OVER 1 AMP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:28:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, handyboard@media.mit.edu (Paul DaCosta) writes:
Now, I recieved two good answers for my problems.

1) Built an H-Bridge
2) Use the LMD18200

Now has any one any documentation on an easy H bridge that I could build
without wasting much time?

  www.yahoo.com, search for "H Bridge", trust me, lots of hits will comeup.
Look for the 4QD pages, they talk a lot about H Bridge designs.  If you
aren't comfortable with electronic design, don't bother though...

The same goes for the LMD18200, I understand that is not compatible with

  This IS an H Bridge.  Its a 3Amp one.  Go to the National Sem. site and
get the databook pages for it, there are circuit design suggestions in
there that are quite detailed.

the HB, has any one built a small circuit which would interface the HB
and LMD18200

  As opposed to a large circuit? 8-()  If you don't feel comfortable with
designing your own circuits, check out http://www.hvwtech.com and look at
their L298 driver board, its about US$15 and has all of the parts, put it
together and connect it up.  I have two of their boards, very nice.

Oh yeah, one more thing, how about connecting a 5 ohm resistor in series

with a DC motor and there are 2 amps flowing, then the resistor is
dissipating 20 watts of heat.
Now I could have a higher value for the resistor, like 7, 10 ohms, I
think that could do it too!

Is this an easier way???

  Actually, this is a fairly easy way to make a space heater, is there some
other reason you want to do this?  If you want to use this as a motor speed
control, its a very bad (wasteful) idea.  PWM is what you want, the H-Bridge
type controllers just love to use PWM to handle this.

have fun,
DLC