 Robotics / Handy Board / 6549
Re: Dead handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:00:22 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Andrea M Okerholm wrote:

My hb was working fine, I took it on a trip in an antistatic bag. When I
took it out of the bag, the battery was completely drained. But as soon as
I started to charge it, one of the resistors burned up. So I tried
charging it via the interface board, which worked, but the batteries won't
hold their charge. When they do have some charge, all the red lights and
the green ON light all light up and it won't go into bootstrap mode. Does
anyone know what's wrong?

Antistatic bags are conductive, right?  You might have shorted the power to
the ground via the bag itself, thereby killing your battery.  Once a NiCad
cell shorts, then it will can a large amount of current from a charger,
possibly killing off a resistor that is in series (is there one on the
Handyboard in series?).

I would expect that replacing the battery pack and the resistor may solve
the problem.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U