 Robotics / Handy Board / 6539
RE: submersible, ballast, depth sensor
Newsgroups:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:29:08 GMT

-----Original Message-----

From: Andrew Harris [mailto:mail96928@pop.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 9:02 AM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: submersible, ballast, depth sensor

Hi!

I planned to build a sub myself about
two years ago but couldn't find the time to build it. What I have to
offer are some thoughts.

Fortunately a submersible needs lots of ballast, so you can stuff it
with lots of batteries and gear.
So my plan was to use a $10 air compressor (the sort you can buy at
service stations to fill your tires) to move air from a bouyancy
tank (with a hole at the bottom connected to the water) into a • reservoir
to sink and to let it flow back through an
electric valve to rise. This way the only refueling you need is
electricity. So you don't need to refill the canister from time to • time
which means maintainance on land.

I'm curious; what is the difference between the "buoyancy tank" and the
"resevoir"?  I'd think moving air from one tank to another won't
actually
affect buoyancy.  Am I missing something?

My favorite methode would be to use an electric piston system to move
water in and
out of a large cylinder (about half a liter). The other side of the • cylinder
(the air side) must be connected to the interior of the sub. This way
you would change the pressure inside the sub. Or you could say you
change the overal volume, hence the bouyancy.

That's interesting; but difficult, right?  Ensuring a watertight seal
around
the piston even under various pressure differences is really hard.  Can
you refer a specific piston system?

I planned also to build some kind of automatic emergency float system.
Nothing else than some ballast to drop when the batteries run too low
OR a preset time has elapsed (the latter could be a mechanical • solution
using a modified kitchen alarm clock).

That's a good idea.

-andrew
mail96928@pop.net