 Robotics / Handy Board / 6538
Re: submersible, ballast, depth sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:39:57 GMT

At 08:02 28.07.99 -0500, you wrote:
So my plan was to use a $10 air compressor (the sort you can buy at
service stations to fill your tires) to move air from a bouyancy
tank (with a hole at the bottom connected to the water) into a • reservoir
to sink and to let it flow back through an
electric valve to rise.

I'm curious; what is the difference between the "buoyancy tank" and the
"resevoir"?  I'd think moving air from one tank to another won't
actually
affect buoyancy.  Am I missing something?

Yes. You missed the "with a hole at the bottom connected to the water"
which means that water comes in as you move the air to the reservoir.
And this means reducing the effective volume of the submersible but
keeping its weight. Just the same as the piston system but using an
compressor instead of the piston (which in fact acts as compressor, right?).
If you open a valve, you let the air flow back to the tank, forcing the water
out -> increasing the effective volume.

My favorite methode would be to use an electric piston system to move
water in and
out of a large cylinder (about half a liter). The other side of the • cylinder
(the air side) must be connected to the interior of the sub. This way
you would change the pressure inside the sub. Or you could say you
change the overal volume, hence the bouyancy.

That's interesting; but difficult, right?  Ensuring a watertight seal
around
the piston even under various pressure differences is really hard.  Can
you refer a specific piston system?

I saw it at a local r/c model store. Not cheap, about $700 a pair
(if you have two, one at the front, one aft, you can trim the sub).

Martin