 Robotics / Handy Board / 6529
Re: Weak Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:20:30 GMT

Shao Xiong wrote:
    I have try to run the handy board using the standard DC 9V  motor
purchase from one of the vendors. However , it does not seem be able to
move very well though i put it to 100% of its capacity. I am now working
on a project to built a remote car which must be able to carry a load of
1.5kg. Does anyone has any  motor model to recommend?

    Secondly, can i connect a 12V supply directly to terminal meant for
the 9V battery directly. Since the HB can take in supply of 9 - 12 V.

It wouldnt be wise to directly connect your 12V supply to the Handy Board...
even if it doesnt cause damage to your Handy Board, I dont think your motor
will be able to draw sufficient current from the motor port to run properly.
Rather, you could bend out the motor supply pin of the L293 from the IC
socket
and solder your 12V supply there......

It shouldnt be a problem with the motor if you are able to move it.......
It would be more likely that the supply used to power the motor is not
producing
enough current to run the motor with the desired torque......(esp the case
if you
are using alkali or even Ni-cad batteries).
Try using a variable supply to see if the motor is really able to run your
car before
resorting to changing your motor to another with higher voltage and current
specs.

Hope this helps.....

Victor