 Robotics / Handy Board / 6515
Re: Yet another board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:22:08 GMT

Chuck,

nice dream! I would be in too.
But why not design a kind of a extension board which would
replace the curend extension board? It would save some money i guess.

Thomas.

Hello Everyone,

I've had something of a vision, and I don't think it was spoiled food :-)
And I'd like some feedback on it. Bear with me, it requires a bit of set up.

After working with Handyboards, Miniboards, 6.270 Boards, BOTBoards and
other 68HC11 boards I find I enjoy their easy programability but always
seem to need some outside circuit to deal with a particular sensor, or other.

Recently, on the advice of a friend, I purchased the "Xilinx Student
Edition V1.5" from Amazon.com ($90, anyone is a "student"):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0136716296/ref=ed_oe_p/002-5447280-30
80618
What this book is, is a students guide to learning about FPGAs (Field
Programmable Gate Arrays), using Xilinx software. It includes all of the
software necessary to design ten thousand gate equivalent FPGAs (XC4010XL
parts). The final chapter/example in the book is building an 8 bit
microprocessor in a single 5000 gate gate array!

If you buy the book you get a coupon that lets you buy the XESS demoboard
with an XC4005 chip (used for all the tutorials in the book) for $109. So
for an investment of $200, you end up with everything you need to not only
learn how to design FPGAs, but to implement them as well. Not a bad deal at
all.

The XESS demoboard manual is shown here:
        http://www.xess.com/FPGA/manual.html

This board has an 8031 on it, 32K of SRAM, the Xilinx part, a parallel
port, VGA type connector, 7 segment LED, and wall-wart to 5V&3V power
supply. Its something like 2" by 4" in size. Both edges of the boards are
rows of pins the are connected to the FPGA so you can plug the whole board
into a solderless breadboard and use it that way, or strips of wire wrap
headers.

The Xilinx part is RAM based, meaning that you download your circuit design
into it at powerup, or it can automatically read it from a serial EEPROM,
and then you start using it. All in all it is a very cool board, if only it
had a 68HC11 instead of an 8031 ...

Flash back to my discussion with my FPGA expert friend who designed a 16
bit RISC machine in one of these FPGAs. He was explaining to me how he
loaded software into memory for his computer since there were no i/o
devices attached except for a serial port. He said,

        "First, I download into the FPGA a serial UART and a DMA device
         which takes data from the serial port and deposits it into memory.
         Then I reset the board and download the CPU into the FPGA and the
         CPU starts executing the program out of memory."

If that doesn't sound like Star Trek I don't know what does.

So one morning, I woke up from a dream. And in my dream I had a robot board
that had a 68HC11, some RAM, and the whole thing was hooked up to an FPGA
in a socket next to it. There was a dual motor driver on board with its
control pins hooked to the FPGA, the FPGA was connected to the 68HC11 bus
signals, there were additional "high current" I/O pins connected to the
FPGA as well as protected input pins. I had just finished downloading a PWM
circuit that attached to the motor controller pins and implemented an i/o
port in the 68HC11's address space. I then added a timer/interrupt circuit
that controlled a sonar unit and a another device that I could write out
servo positioning codes to and it would send out servo signals on the pins
I specified. Then I added a 38Khz clock circuit (dividing out the CPU
clock) that drove some IR LEDs that were being modulated and then monitored
by a digital phase locked loop circuit. I'd used up a thousand gates in the
FPGA and still had 4000 left so I implemented an additional serial port
that could drive three pins and had it's interrupts on the 68HC11 IRQ pin.

The scary thing is, this dream is not only possible, it would probably cost
no more than a 20 - 30% premium over what a handyboard does today.

So, I want to build this sucker (or have someone build it and I'll buy a
bunch!) I figure the board would have an EEPROM for the FPGA so that a
"standard" configuration could be loaded into it and sent with boards where
the user didn't want or need to pay $100 to get the Xilinx tools. Maybe we
could create a circuits library that could be downloaded into this board
like a software library.

Comments? Feedback? Would you buy one if it was available? Even if the kit
cost $300? (rough guess based on a four layer board, F1 version of the
68HC11 and XC4005.)

--Chuck