 Robotics / Handy Board / 6508
Re: Quickcam - Sharp LCD - Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:55:51 GMT

At 03:22 PM 7/21/99 -0500, you wrote:

Any one have interest in making the B&W (or Color) Quickcam work
in with the handyboard?

There isn't a whole lot of RAM and clock cycles to deal with
video on the 68HC11. A more reasonable solution would be to
use a wireless transmitter to send video signals to a receiver
that interfaces to a TV or some other host computer with more
horsepower. The handy board could then be used to drive servos
or stepper motors to pan/tilt the camera.

For example you could use a pinhole camera like this:
http://208.21.248.173/servlet/cat/product/PC63XP.html

With a small transmitter like this:
http://208.21.248.173/servlet/cat/product/AVX900MICRO.html

And a receiver like this:
http://208.21.248.173/servlet/cat/product/AVX900R2.html

Then you can use any video capture card to convert the NTSC
video signal to digital JPEGs or MPEGs. Or if you wanted to
display on a monitor you would have to run it through some
kind of scan converter to get a VGA or TV signal. There are
some receivers that output both NTSC and composite RGB.

Speaking about the Quickcam, it is possible to modify the
camera so that it can feed into a TV?

Not easily. The QuickCam produces digital output and was
designed for parallel port attachment.

What part is the CCD on there?

Dunno. But keep in mind that the new QuickCams from
Logitech are not the same as the old ones from Connectix.
Connectix used to make their specs publicly available,
which is why there are many drivers for the old cams.
But since Logitech bought out Connectix, they are no
longer making their specs available (fools ...) so it
is unlikely that drivers will be written by the linux
or other free software communities. If they were smart
they'd publish the specs and they'd get more support
on additional platforms for free, and they'd sell
more cameras too. I have been looking for linux drivers
for the quickcams, and they only work with the old
cameras for this reason. So be aware that there are NO
drivers or specs for the new logitech cams except for
the windows drivers supplied by them.

Also... I have a Sharp LM64K837 24cm [9.4"] Transflective
type, B/W STN-LCD Module[VGA Format] panel.  Since it is
VGA can I just hook it straight up to a video card?

Doubtful. Unless that panel has a standard VGA input
header you will require a video card that provides the
STN LCD signals. If you do some searching on the web
you'll find many boards that support this. But most
standard VGA cards don't support LCD panels.

If I can, what refresh rates would I use and such.

Better check the Sharp specifications ...

Could it work with the handyboard?

The VGA screen? What for? The handy board is really
an embedded device, not intended to drive peripherals
like a full VGA monitor. Remember that you don't have
much RAM to play with here. If you want VGA, you just
interface the handyboard to a regular PC with a
serial connection.

I am exploring the possibility of interfacing the HB
with a small industrial motherboard/PC which is about
the same size as a handy board. Then I have interfaces
to all of the standard PC peripherals, including
ethernet, and can also drive VGA CRTs and LCD panels.
It's viable, but it's expensive. Check this out:

http://208.21.248.173/servlet/cat/product/AVX900R2.html

I have a credit card sized 166 Mhz pentium running on
one of these mighty mite carrier boards. I then added
a PC/104 PCMCIA module with dual PCMCIA slots. I have
144 MB bootable flash on the carrier board and 260 MB
available on a PC Card hard drive. This allows me to
do anything I want. The handy board acts as a slave
device while all of the control logic and fancy GUIs
resides on the CardPC based system. Food for thought.

Doug