 Robotics / Handy Board / 6451
Re: Startup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 16:38:02 GMT

At 02:05 PM 7/4/99 +1000, Satish Chetty wrote:

Hi all,
Reading from the tons of the listings, I see that many of you are
veterans in the HB. I recently bought a preassembled HB. I havn't soldered
the battery case to the board, however, I have bought a 12V 500mA external
adapter. I thought I shall ask about downloading the downloader. I tried
the stuff the manual, I can't seem to be even setting the board in
download mode.

     What version of IC are you using? I had all kinds of serial port
troubles with the freeware version running on fast (Pentium and up)
machines. The commercial version runs well on fast machines under Win95,
has a slick interface and is cheap. If you are spending any time at all
with the HB (and isn't that the point?) it is well worth the investment. It
saves much time and hassle. See:

www.newtonlabs.com

PS: I have another question too. Should I solder the battery pack to the
HB when I connect the adapter to the HB?

Not sure what you are asking. The adapter is used to charge the battery,
which can only work if both are connected to the HB. You can use the HB w/o
the battery but you'll have to reload the pcode after every time you turn
it off. And your 'bot will need a long umbilical 8^]

Cheers, Duncan