 Robotics / Handy Board / 636
Re: my bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 08:18:44 GMT

At 12:02 PM 8/5/96 -0600, you wrote:

front end on just for kicks, but i'll proboably rip it off later. i also
ripped off the little trencher thing. i soldered some caps on the 2 drive
motors so my HB wouldn't reboot. i couldn't solder the bucket motor (that
things hard to reach!).
not many mods yet. but i haven't spent much time on it neither. here's what

Heh, I ripped the front end off as well.  Other than that, I did the
exact same mods.  Wow.  :-)

i _want_ to do:

servo mounted Poloaroid Sonor (which should've been here today)on the front end
4 Hamatsu IR's-one to a corner, low mounted to pick up things the sonar'd miss.
2 hair-trigger micros switches on the bucket so the bot can tell when it's
load
I've got the sonar going - it's neat for looks, but I'm still
working on putting enough code behind it to make it fast and functional -
servos are SLOW!  (Ping, move, THWACK, ping, object 1 cm away...  ;-)  How
are you going to get all those IR sensors on?  How will you interface them
to the HB?  Once thing I've noticed is that the timer lines get used up
really quickly...  :-(  I'm out!  I stuck two microswitches on the front of
my bot, but I'm disappointed with their performance - they keep falling off!
I can seem to find a good way to attach them...  I also need to work on the
"arm" they use to sense objects, it twists and breaks easily.

Ok, it's time for a complaint against the CAT D10.  It doesn't turn
well when it's heavy, on carpet.  I've mounted a sub C nicad pack, the HB,
sonar, etc on my bot, and now it's almost to heavy to be able to pivot
itself.  I tell it to turn, the treads slip on the driving wheel thingies,
make a bunch of bad noises sometimes, and then it finally manages to throw
itself around.  Bad.  I really wish it would perform better turning,
because it does just fine going in a straight line!  :-)