 Robotics / Handy Board / 6353
Re: Hi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:32:46 GMT

     Satish:

     The fact that the red and green leds in the lower left corner do not
     light up and than shut off after ~1/3 sec. means that your board does
     not reset and goes into download mode. This is the reason why the
     downloader states: "Wrong Port or board mode".

     Rechargeable NiCad's are only 1.2V per cell and regular or Alkaline
     batteries are 1.5V per cell. So 8 cells of Nicad's translates to 9.2 V
     total and 8 cells of regulars is: 12V total.

     The handyboard design is such that when power is applied with a wall
     adapter it tries to trickle charge the NiCad's if they are hooked up.
     I do not think it is wise to hook up regular batteries since they
     cannot be recharged plus they try to "fight" the charging circuit.

     Between the batteries and the HB circuit their are two regulators, one
     dedicated to keep the 62256 SRAM powered and one for the rest of the
     board, so this may have protected sensitive components.

     The HB buy the way will run without batteries hook up and just with
     the wall adapter plugged in.

     I would start by removing all CMOS components from their sockets
     including the 68HC11 (may be difficult to get out of socket), of
     course you cannot remove the address latch since it is soldered
     underneath the RAM, so be careful with ESD. Then power your board with
     just the wall adapter and check out the +5V  rail throughout the
     board.

     If this checks out replace all part and just use the wall adapter, no
     batteries.
     You may already have fried some parts though, either trough statics or
     over power.

     Also, which parts get hot? You said board gets heated, but which part?

     Hope this helps out, let me know what gives.
     Bart Schrijver.

     P.S. For