 Robotics / Handy Board / 6344
Re: Where can I get a cheap handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:55:56 GMT

     Jens:

     I recently build (last month) two handyboards and spent approximately
     $200.- US total. I live in California.

     I got the components through various mail order places like: Digikey,
     Mouser.
     And from local discount surplus electronics store HCS, who buys
     overstocked componenets from the Silicon Valley. Very low prices and
     all kinds of neat stuff!!!!!

     The display I got through Timeline in San Jose for $7.00 ea. The more
     difficult parts like the IR sensor IS1U60 and the reset circuit
     DS1233-10 I received as samples at 0 cost through FAI Electronics
     distributors. (I work at HP).

     Boards were purchased through Douglas for ~$30.- US for one set
     including the expansion board.

     Newark mail order carries the microprocessor MC68HC11A1FN for ~12.-

     If you do not live in the US you probably spent a lot on shipping the
     stuff, so your best bet may be to just buy a pre-assembled board or a
     complete parts kit, I think Douglas does have this service.

     Here are some web sites you may look at:

     www.newark.com             mail order electronics
     www.digikey.com            mail order
     www.mouser.com             mail order
     www.digisys.net/timeline/   LCD display
     www.douglas.com            PCB boards, possibly part kits.

     I had good success building both and they worked right out of the box,
     no hardware errors, your success may very.

     Good luck, Bart Schrijver Bart_Schrijver@hp.com