 Robotics / Handy Board / 6249
Re: Interactive C
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 18:59:59 GMT

I agree with Gary Livick, the best way to learn is by doing.
My first program on the handyboard just displayed a message on
the screen.  My second program was to plug a couple of different
resistors into the analog ports and print out the different values.

One word of advice on C books:  Stay away from C++.  You
probably want books that feature ANSI C because it is much
more like IC than C++.

When Gary Livick said that you don't need to know ANSI C, I
think he meant that you don't need to know the entire language.
I agree with that.

However, IC and ANSI C are similar enough that books on basic
ANSI C should be of some help.  Assuming that you use the
free version of IC at first, you can skip anything that
has to do with the precompiler (like the #include statements).
You can also skip over the structs.  Pointers tend to be
one of the most confusing topics in C, but you can write a
lot of IC code without using pointers.  Learn about
pointers after you are familiar with the basics.