 Robotics / Handy Board / 6158
Re: Navigation & Encoders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 16:48:26 GMT

I know this is not really handyboard specific but hey... Does anybody know
the equation for finding a heading (theta) from a current position P(x,y) to
a goal position G(x,y).  I sure there's a tangent in there somewhere but
I've already dredged up more trigonometry than I care to remember
implementing these shaft encoders.

Dear Andrew,
You want the angle that line joining G and P make with X axis.
That is arctan of the slope of the line from P to G.
slope =(yP-yG)/(xP-xG)

hence, theta = arctan ((yP-yG)/(xP-xG))
where P=(xP,yP) and G=(xG,yG)
Note that this angle should be always measured wrt positive
direction of X axis.If slope of line is negative, the angle with positive
direction of X axis is obtuse. Add PI to -arctan of absolute value of the
slope.
I hope this helps.
Yours sincerely,
    Nitin