 Robotics / Handy Board / 6126
Re: IR test reports "Rubbish" when I run test.c
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:18:21 GMT

Test.c expects to see both short and long pulses of IR, and it tries to
accept timings from any remote.  It times the signals it receives and
records the lengths of the shortest and longest pulse.  It then uses the
midpoint of these values as a threshold to decide which pulses are short or
long regardless of the actual timings of your remote.

Once it decides on a threshold, it double checks it to see if it makes
sense.  In your case it didn't... the threshold was such a small number
that it couldn't possibly be a correct reading for any known remote.  It's
as if the IR input signal was oscillating rapidly rather than recording a
real signal of long and short pulses.

Possible causes are:
  Too much sunlight during the test.
  Insufficiently charged HB batteries (IR reception is the 1st thing to go
flaky under low power conditions).
  Other sources of IR interfering with the test.
  Hardware problems in your IR detection circuit.
  Using an incredibly unusual remote (either really really new or really
really old).

I suggest you fully charge your HB and then redo the test in darkness with
a different remote.  If you still have the same problem, then almost
certainly there is something wrong with your IR detection circuit.

Good Luck,
/Max