 Robotics / Handy Board / 6111
RE: Electrolytic Capacitor Ratings [was Re: Choosing Parts?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:55:29 GMT

Sorry to say, but the capacitance does change depending upon
the applied voltage.  As you increase the plate voltage a force is
created pulling the plates together.  This effectively INCREASES
the capacitance.  The good news is that this enhancement is very
negligable.

In my personal experiance, Electrolytic caps suck.  They are
usually at best +/- 20%.  When I design a circuit, I use the
good old safety factor for the working voltage to be from 1.5 to 2
times the operating voltage.  You never know if you will hook
up the circuit to a voltage sufficient to breakdown the lower
voltage caps.

Shelby R. Raymond

Capacitance is calculated using the area of the plates, the dielectric
constant, and the distance between the plates.
It does not have anything to do with the voltage.
If a thicker dielectric is formed, it will reduce the capacitance.  This
is
not because of the voltage it was made at, or the voltage it is going to
be
used at, it's simply because the dielectric is thicker, hence the distance
between the plates is greater, and capacitance is inversely proportional
the distance between the plates.

Admittedly, this is just theory from the textbook, but I doubt that the
value of a capacitor is going to change if used in a circuit with a
working
voltage that is lower than what the capacitor is rated at.

just my $0.02