 Robotics / Handy Board / 6109
Re: Electrolytic Capacitor Ratings [was Re: Choosing Parts?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:12:22 GMT

Capacitance is calculated using the area of the plates, the dielectric
constant, and the distance between the plates.
It does not have anything to do with the voltage.
If a thicker dielectric is formed, it will reduce the capacitance.  This is
not because of the voltage it was made at, or the voltage it is going to be
used at, it's simply because the dielectric is thicker, hence the distance
between the plates is greater, and capacitance is inversely proportional to
the distance between the plates.

Admittedly, this is just theory from the textbook, but I doubt that the
value of a capacitor is going to change if used in a circuit with a working
voltage that is lower than what the capacitor is rated at.

just my $0.02