 Robotics / Handy Board / 6069
6068  |  6070
Subject:
Wireless communication with the Handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 05:14:05 GMT

Hello,

I've been very busy trying to communicate with the Handyboard via a wireless
link ( HP Development kit form Linx Technologies). I have run into a slight
problem-
The kit comes with 2 "development boards" - each contains a transmitter,
receiver, and an antenna. Linx provides software to establish a simplex
communication between 2 computers ( which means only one transmitter/
receiver pair are used at a time).
In order to communicate with the handyboard, I'll need ( I think ) at least a
two way half duplex transmission protocol. Here is the problem: In the
current set-up, all four Linx Tx/ Rx modules are enabled at the same time.
They all transmit at the same frequency, which causes a problem. Data sent to
the transmitter on "Board 1" is immediately picked up by the receiver on the
same board, having a loop- back effect.
The problem can be solved by transmitting and receiving at two different
frequencies, which is not too difficult, considering that Linx provides a dip
switch to select between 8 different frequencies. Having explored this
solution, however, I keep getting the following message whenever I try to run
IC via the wireless link:
Looking for prompt, received 255
Synchronizing with Board....
The number "received" varies with each successive synchronization attempt.
So here is the question:
On the Handyboard side: Is it possible to somehow monitor a pin on the 68HC11
to see whether it is transmitting or receiving? I plan to use this pin to
enable only one Tx/ Rx pair at a time. (The Linx Tx/ Rx modules have a power
down pin for this purpose).
On the PC side: Could I use the DTR, CTS, and RTS serial pins to perform the
same function?
I am confident that the wireless link works in the simplex mode, since I was
able to transmit an analog audio signal from a Walkman to a Stereo!
Any thoughts on the matter would be highly appreciated.
David Nagel
New Jersey Institute of Technology.