 Robotics / Handy Board / 5996
Re: Sensor Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 03:36:37 GMT

Andre Philippi wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question...What would be most effective ?

An array of sensors (IR or sonar), or a single sensor on a continuously
rotating base (assume 1 rotation every 2 secs...) ?

Could someone here explain me the main functional differences of the 2
approaches, please?

I use both and infrared ranging sensor and sonar.  I have them both mounted on
rotating bases.  If you plan to do some serious work with your application, then
you might find this approach a little difficult.  The reason is that if your
robot is moving, and you are recording ranges every few degrees through some
total angle every two seconds, you will introduce errors related to the motion
of the robot, ie; by the time you finish your sweep and examine the range map
you have just built, the robot will be out of position from the earliest
readings by some amount more or less related to speed.  I suppose you could
correct for the error with some fancy trig....

Also, since I'm at it...

Recently I've seen a graph containing a typical beam pattern for the polaroid
6500 sonar (ftp://wirz.com/Polaroid_Sonar/6500.PDF)... Is the vertical shape
of the beam patterns the same as the horizontal shape?

The transducer for the sonar is not clocked, and is symmetric, so the pattern is
the same in all directions.

Good luck,

Gary Livick