 Robotics / Handy Board / 5970
Re: Using both Sharp GP2D02 and Polaroid 6500 -Reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:31:43 GMT

I have a Rug Warrior fitted with the Polaroid 6500 sonar, and a Handy Board
that uses the GP2D02 sensor.  Both applications use a servo for aiming.  On
the Handy Board site, the libraries have been altered to support the GP2D02,
but I did my own driver for it, so I cannot say how well that driver works
with the Handy Board sonar drivers.  I also use the Rug Warrior version of
sonar driver.

So, somebody else will have to discuss using the Handy Board drivers, but I
can say that the drivers I use should work fine together.  There is complete
control of when they are fired, as neither of my routines utilize the 1000
system interrupt.

I like the idea of using these two sensors together, as the GP2D02 fills in a
sensing hole.  Getting through doorways and down halls has been difficult
without either detuning the standard infrared detection system, or ignoring
it altogether.  Plus, the GP2D02 works well at short range.  I currently use
it on a robot to pick up coke cans.  See
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/gallery/scooter/scooter.html

Good luck,

Gary Livick

wengd@optionshealthcare.com wrote:

I posted a message asking IF any one had timing issues using the 6500
and the GP2D02 but never received a response.  My concern is running
the sonar, IR and encoder routines concurently as seperate processes.
Will IC be able to keep up???  Some reassurance would be appreciated
before I order the Sharp sensors...
-Drew

"shsc9801@condor.stcloudstate.edu" 04/04/99 12:16pm >>>
Has anyone set up a handyboard with an expansion board which uses
both the
Sharp GP2D02 infrared sensors and the Polaroid 6500 sonar device
without
any conflict?  A previous mailing stated a person having a timing conflict
between the two different sensors.  If anyone has set it up without
having
such a conflict I would like to know how they did it.

Scott