 Robotics / Handy Board / 5860
5859  |  5861
Subject:
Serial communications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:21:17 GMT

I'm using a Windows PC to try to communicate with the handy board
using the posted serial routines (using the pcode port).  I can't get
a single character to go through successfully.  My receive routine is
set to display to the LCD as it receives data, but I don't get any
output.  I tried the debug_serial routines from the same zip file, and
they work fine.  So the problem seems to be somewhere in the PC->handy
board COM interface.

The symptoms are rather strange.  If I send five \xFF's, the HB will
freeze after the first one, and start executing again after the fifth
one.  For some hex values it will work (including \x70, \x80, \x66),
and for others it won't (including \x00, \x01, \x41)--it will stay
frozen until I send five of the characters it likes.  However, it
never seems to really get the characters, because they never show up
in any of my variables (nor on my display).

My goal is to be able to get asynchronous communication between the PC
and the HB--and have the HB keep working when it isn't receiving.  It
needs, then, to detect the serial communication and read a set number
of bytes off the line before it can go back to other work again.
Right now I am implementing it with two processes: an RX process for
receiving serial communication, and a work process.

I appreciate any light anyone can shed on this subject.  Thanks for
the help.

Ryan Hinton ;)
ryan_hinton@byu.edu
http://www.et.byu.edu/~hintonr